This instrument belongs to the Cremonese master’s early production, and to some extent the work of Nicolò Amati (1596–1684) and Francesco Ruggeri (c.1630–c.1698). It has a one-piece back made from maple wood cut on the slab with uneven curls running almost horizontally and a sap mark on the upper left side. The sides and scroll are also made of maple with lively flames of medium width. The top is made of two pieces of spruce finely grained in the centre and widening toward the flanks, and the varnish is of an orange colour over a golden ground.
More information: Antonio Stradivari Set 1, Volume 1, Page 24