This violin belongs to Stradivari’s ‘Golden Period’ and has been recorded as one of the ‘typical specimens of this period’ by the Hills. Like several other violins of the time, it was crafted on the mould marked with the letter ‘P’, which is dated 25 February 1705 and by virtue of its size, the violin was noted by Stewart Pollens as belonging to Stradivari’s ‘Grand Pattern’. The instrument still bears an original label ‘Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis/Faciebat Anno 1709’, the last three digits of which are handwritten. The violin is named after two of its owners, the well-known Viennese textile industrialist, patron and collector Theodor Hämmerle (1859–1930), and the violinist, philanthropist and businessman Max Adler of Chicago, Illinois.
More information: Antonio Stradivari Set 1, Volume 3, Page 12